National Osteoporosis Foundation of South Africa (NOFSA)
To improve the quality of life for all those suffering from osteoporosis by making the diagnostic tools available and to let everyone with osteoporosis have access to the medications that will prevent their first fractures, to support research about the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis, thereby preventing/lessening the serious socio-economic impact of this disease on our country.
The National Osteoporosis Foundation of South Africa (NOFSA) is the only nonprofit, voluntary health organization dedicated to promoting lifelong bone health in order to reduce the widespread prevalence of osteoporosis and associated fractures, while working to find a cure for the disease by supporting research, and developing programmes of education and advocacy.
To accomplish our mission we do the following:
- Fundraising - Seeking funds to support our programmes and services;
- Research – Determining the fracture prevalence and cost implications thereof on our economy;
- Education and support - Providing education and support services for people with osteoporosis ;
- Professionals’ education programmes - Conducting osteoporosis education programmes for health professionals to better understand osteoporosis, its prevention and treatment by organising conferences and training courses to this effect;
- Awareness - Educating the public about osteoporosis and about the importance of prevention, early diagnosis and available treatment;
- Advocacy - Advocating the interests of people affected by osteoporosis at levels of medical, societal and political influence;
- Advice – Counseling osteoporosis sufferers through written, electronic and telephonic communications.