World Burn Foundation of Southern Africa
Fire and burns are potential threats to the life and well-being of everyone in South Africa. Although it victimises the poor disproportionately, no one is immune. But prudence in our daily life can minimize the chance of a burn injury and make the difference between life and death.
Actions currently underway include:
- Long-term, multiple-media, advertising campaign to make South Africans more conscious of burn prevention;
- Designing effective fire and burn prevention education programmes for schools and high risk communities.
- Implementing support groups for burn survivors and family particularly at hospital facilities providing burn treatment;
- Supporting research to improve the rehabilitation of burn survivors and their families;
- Lobbying fire department priorities toward prevention, with an emphasis on educational programmes;
- Encouraging regional cooperative arrangements amongst organisations with similar priorities;
The World Burn Foundation of Southern Africa strives to be the premier support for burn trauma.