State Hospitals - Addington Hospital – Durban, Kwazulu Natal, South Africa
Addington is a 571 bedded and 2 200 staffed district and regional hospital, situated on South Beach, Durban.
Addington's vision is to achieve an optimal health care status for all patients, families, and communities through innovative and dynamic health care leadership.
There are 16 clinics in Addington's catchment area.
Amongst other achievements, Addington hospital was the first public sector hospital to receive accreditation status.
Services offered by Addington Hospital
District Hospital Services
Obstetrics/Maternity Gynaecology, Paediatrics
Regional Hospital Services
General Surgery, Orthopaedics, ENT, Ophthalmology, General Medicine, Radiotherapy and Oncology, Coronary Care Unit, Chronic Haemodialysis programme, Short Term Ventilatory/High Care Unit
Physiotherapy, Occupational therapy and Speech Therapy
Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Medical Physics, Pharmacy, Anaesthetic, Laboratory, Social Work, Dietetics
Primary Health Care
- Gateway Clinic
- Children's Primary Health Care Centre
- Newlands East Clinic
- Beatrice Street Clinic (also caters for ex-Escoval geriatric and mental health services)
- Sinothando, Addington’s Voluntary, Counselling and Testing site.
- Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission (PMCT)
- Crisis centre - Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)
- Antiretroviral rollout programme (Ikusasa)
- Supported by Reproductive Health Research Unit who are developing a Best Practice Model for other hospitals with a one stop service (adults, families, children, Wellness centre)
- Training and Teaching services
Nursing College Campus
Radiography students from DIT for practical training
Medical interns, registrars in a number of specialties
Copyright © KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health, 2001